Friday, October 31, 2014

Chon-Ji - Strong Foundations

I mentioned in one of my first posts that I think Chon-Ji is a great beginner's form.  In this post, I'd like to look a little deeper at that and also take a look at how it compares to some of the basic forms of Tang Soo Do, Shotokan and WTF Taekwondo.

Chon-ji is translated to mean heaven and earth.  This is fitting as the form has two very distinct parts.  The form is cross shaped, putting it on a short list of Chang-Hon forms with a truly unique layout.

The first half of Chon-Ji consists of down block in a front stance followed by stepping forward straight punch.  The second half of the form consists of inner forearm blocks in a back stance followed by stepping forward straight punch. The form ends with two punches forward and two punches moving backwards.

The techniques of the form are not that notable in and of their selves, but rather, become very interesting when looking at them on the turns of the form.  The downward block in a front stance and the inner forearm block in a back stance coming off of 180 degree turns allow a new student to practice getting their hips involved in the execution of their techniques.  It is my opinion that down block and inner forearm block are two of the best blocks for a student to practice putting their hips (and thus the whole power of their upper body) behind a technique.  While turning, a student's hips should be opened up a bit in advance because of the turn -- this helps to show the proper torque of the hips that should be present on all blocks.  Downward block - because it chambers much higher than its terminus gives a student ample time to turn the hip.  The same is true about inner block - whether you chamber the block with your arms parallel or perpendicular to the ground, the 180 degree turn allows for plenty of time to position your hips back and land with timing of foot, hip and hand.

Early emphasis of the proper turn of the hips is essential in building a good martial artist.  Not everyone is strong in the arms, so that hip turn is essential for those people to generate the kind of power it takes to make techniques hurt their opponents (where necessary).  Conversely it is important for people who are upper body strong to develop the hip turn to attain maximum potential damage in their techniques.

As a form on its own, I think Chon-Ji is the perfect beginner form.  When I look at other first forms (Pyung Ahn Cho Dan, Taegeuk Il Jang and Palgwe 1) the first thing I notice is that Chon-Ji is a much more simple form.  Chonji has three techniques in it, where Pyung ahn cho dan has seven, TaeGuek Il Jang has five and Palgwe 1 has six.  The other beginner forms are all similarly shaped with each other, as well as the forms that proceed them in their various systems.  This is also a place where Chon-ji varies - being cross shaped it is wholly unique in the 24 Chang-Hon form sets.  To me, Chon-Ji has a very simple and stated objective - proper hip turn during execution of techniques from the two main stances of the art.  It does not act as an "introduction" to the rest of the Chang-Hon set but rather has its own goal and sticks to it.  The other first forms all seem to be formulaic to what will proceed them.  I don't think there is a problem with this - but I do like the approach that Chon-Ji takes.

I can't make an unbiased judgement of the first forms.  I've done Chon-Ji, by default more than I have done any other form in the Chang-Hon set and I have never learned any of the other first forms.  I like the simplicity of Chon-Ji and that it seems to be more about creating a strong foundation rather than being an opportunity to expose students to new techniques or to what is to come.  My wife, who studied Moo Duk Kwan Tae Kwon Do for a while and knew both Palgwe 1 and Pyung Ahn Cho Dan finds the Chang-Hon significantly harder to learn.  She cites that the different shape and lack of shape consistency was very challenging for her in her transition from her old forms to her new Chang-Hon forms.  I don't get it, but I am native to the Chang-Hon, so I can't be unbiased.  I am always curious what others think - please feel free to comment.  


1 comment:

  1. I was really excited to learn Chon-Ji many years ago because it reminds me a lot of Kenpo Short Form 1 and Long Form 1. I still do Chon-Ji alot these days as part of warming up. I love doing Chon-Ji several times in a row getting progressively deeper in stances to loosen the hips up before I do more intense stretching.

    ReplyDelete