Wednesday, August 20, 2014

The Japanese Influence

It is hard to deny the Japanese influence in Taekwon-Do.  I've always wondered why a country that was subjugated by the Japanese would create a fighting art that reflects many of the Japanese arts tendencies.  Although in the early 80s GM Choi tried to remedy this by introducing sine wave movement, the fundamental Japanese-ness was already there in the roots.  I often wonder if the goal was ever to create something wholly unique, or if just having their own art was enough.  I have read things that point strongly at both arguments.  Since I don't have a time machine, I'm left with what I know, and what I think. 

I know that the basic fundamental stances are all exactly the same in concept as the Shotokan stances.  Additionally the execution of many of the basic techniques are similar enough to be called the same.  By this I mean if the chamber of a certain technique is different, but otherwise the technique is the same, then well - they are similar enough to be the same.  Before sine wave, we even moved in the same C shaped movements with an emphasis on heads not moving up and down.

A person can argue that there are only so many ways to kick and punch, but Capoeira has kicks and punches and they look nothing like TKD or Shotokan.  The same can be said about the execution of most Kung-Fu techniques.  They really don't look anything like TKD or Japanese Karate.  Even the art of Taekyon which TKD is supposed to be a direct descendant of looks much different when compared to TKD.  (In his book The Killing Art Alex Gillis gives us a great reason why this is - do check it out).  Shotokan and the pre-sine wave version of TKD are in my opinion two sides to the same coin; TKD is too close to Shotokan in my opinion not to be a direct descendant of the Japanese art. 

It's not just the techniques though.  If it were, I'd call the above paragraph circumstantial.  I mentioned in one of my first posts the similarity between certain Shotokan forms and the Chang-Hon patterns.  This cannot be more apparent than when you compare Tekki Sandan with Po-eun.  I put this together, watch both side by side here:

http://www.youtubedoubler.com/?video1=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DXt_-ZinW6sg&start1=0&video2=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DY0aqGAcY2ac&start2=4&authorName=TKDDK

These are unique forms - I can't speak to the body of work of Shotokan, but I can say that there are no other Chang-Hon forms that consist of a form made up almost entirely of straddle (horse) stances.  (there are only two back stances in the whole form of Po-Eun)  Additionally, the make up of the technique of both forms is very similar as the mashup above should show.  This is more than coincidence in my opinion.   

Two forms, more similar than dissimilar from two different arts in which one art was a direct response to the others.  Very interesting indeed.  Of course, the Tekki / Po-Eun link is not the only one.  There are sequences of movements in many Shotokan forms that show up in the TKD Chang-Hon system.  Gojushiho-Sho throws a series of quick low section knife hand blocks that we see almost exactly in Ge-Baek for instance.  Other shotokan form sequences can be seen in Tan-Gun, and in Yoo-Sin almost move for move.  I believe it is impossible for this to be coincidence. 

What does it all mean?  Are these similarities secret homages to the arts the Korean architects studied in their youth?  Is this an attempt to slight the Japanese practitioners by taking their moves and doing them differently (and maybe in a Korean sense "better"?) I don't have the answer.  I believe it to probably be a bit of both.  There was probably an understanding that the Japanese were on to something, or else the fighting arts wouldn't have lived as long as they did.  I also believe though that in the 50s when TKD was being created, there was a lot of resentment towards the Japanese and it wouldn't surprise me in the least bit if some of the technique sequences are an attempt at a slight of the predecessor.

What do you think?  Please share your insight in the comments.  


2 comments:

  1. So, I guess that begs the question: If you want to start training in a martial art, which one do you pick? Given the similarities between Tae Kwon Do, Tang Soo Do, and Karate, maybe the best bet is to find an instructor you trust and an environment/philosophy that resonates with you, and go with that school.

    There's a lot of (unnecessary) clannishness in the martial arts (my school is superior to your school, my style is superior to your style)...and it doesn't really make sense. In disciplines that are, at their core, about defending oneself and others from aggression and danger, there should only be room for friendly competition....not true rivalry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are exactly right on your first point. That's basically how I try to guide people when they ask me about picking a school or style.

      Chalk rivalry up to a bunch of factors that ultimately come down to human nature. Remember that many of these arts were invented ultimately as a response to invasion - so in the modern world it sort of makes sense that there is a martial arts "pride". I think in the end it just comes down to human nature. In a way we're always competing against something. Even the most noble "I'm only competing against myself" mantra is still a competition. Not to get cliche, preachy and philosophical, but why not instead of competing with yourself you just choose to "be"?

      Delete