Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Macro Patterns (Part 2)

In Part 2 of the Macro Patterns series I want to dive into the first kicking forms of taekwon-do.  This post may run a bit long, and if so I apologize; there are just so many juicy things to discuss! 

To-san was one of those early benchmark forms I remember not being able to wait to learn.  It featured the first kicks and deviated, albeit slightly from the standard "I" shape.  I think that deviation is interesting.  Taking a step back and looking at the first 9 forms as a whole -- there are more I shaped forms than not, by the count of 6-3.  Setting aside the technique that make up the forms, I find it odd that the non I shaped forms are kind of "sprinkled in".  I question this logic.  Students tend to pick up moving in a straight line in forms (and in fighting) easier than moving on an angle.  I'm not sure why the design of these forms was such that they built angular movement in so sporadically.

While I find the actual techniques in the form ramp up in a very logical way, the overall layout is inconsistent and can be confusing.  As an instructor, I've seen people, here and there, struggle when they suddenly have to step on an angle.  Angular movement on a whole can be one of the harder things a student is asked to do in a form, particularly early in their career.  It seems shortsighted to apply angular movement in an almost haphazard way, the way the architects of these forms applied it.

The thing is, I don't think you could just reorder the original 9 and fix this issue.  The techniques would not build from transition and difficulty correctly if you did.

Won-Hyo sees us return to the I shape pattern of movement and includes the first side kick.  Does anything say TKD more than a well thrown sidekick?  It is the signature kick of the art as a whole and I'm still wrapping my mind around it's placement in the 4th form.

As I hinted in my last post I find it odd that the foot fist way doesn't start kicking until the 3rd form in.  A friend replied with the time honored "you have to learn how to walk before you run".  I think that is certainly true, however, knowing TKD's roots lie more in Japanese karate arts than anywhere else, I might venture a guess and say that in the beginning TKD started with more of a Japanese, punch first mentality. 

Contrary to how the ITF progression advances, the WTF pick up kicking in either their first or second form.  While learning kicking in the first versus the third form may not seem like that big of a difference, remember that the "on paper" space between learning chonji and tosan is close to a year's worth of training.  So for a year, the WTF are kicking in their forms and adjusting to it before some ITF schools are.

This sort of makes sense when you take into account how far the offshoot of the original idea of TKD -- namely the WTF, strays from the use of hand techniques in their system.  WTF Olympic sparring looks nothing like Japanese karate, or like ITF sparring -- it is a wholly unique fighting system.

The original ITF seems more like a prototype art. While Choi's goal might have been to have a unique and distinct art from the contemporary Japanese arts of his day, the WTF accomplished that goal (in my opinion) better than Choi did.  If the signature technique of the Japanese arts is the piercing reverse punch, the stark contrast would be the WTF round house kick.    All this being said, I don't think it diminishes what ITF TKD is, after all, you have to learn how to walk before you run.   

So does it really matter when a student starts kicking in their forms?  I don't honestly know.  Logic tells me that the sooner you start doing something, the better you'll be at it in the long run.  I am curious what you think though, so please feel free to leave a comment.  I'll try to keep the next topic a little lighter on content. 

6 comments:

  1. I think that while it matters when a student starts kicking in their forms, whether it's in the first or third form learned isn't a big enough gap that it will have a significant impact on a student's long term growth in the art.

    As for going between the I shape and alternates in form order, I wonder how much of it is to change things up so that the forms don't become stale or get jumbled in your memory. Plus while angular movement is difficult, by your own logic regarding kicking in forms, the sooner you start doing it, the better you'll get at it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True! My problem is not with angular movements but more so that they are kind of randomly added in. Might it had made sense to include angular movement from the first form to bring it in line with my logic about kicks?

      That's the beauty of it being an art. Nothing has to be THE correct way.

      Delete
    2. Well, I'll go back to my original comment about walking before you can run. I think angular movement is actually more complex than kicks, so I would think it would be best added in the second or third form.

      But then again, we're discussing individual techniques and where they fall in forms, when another major aspect of forms that you haven't mentioned yet (forgive me if it's on your docket and I'm jumping the gun) is stringing groups of techniques together. By the time you are learning Do-San and Won-Hyo, you've spent hours performing punches, blocks and kicks stationary, and while taking steps in front and back stances. But Do-San is the first time you're likely to throw a double forearm block, front kick, double punch combo.

      I'm not sure whether reordering the forms so that kicks and angular movement start sooner would be asking too much of a new student to learn not just the new techniques but to string them together so soon.

      Delete
    3. There is angular movement on the third form, and I have no problem with that, or with the placement of one particular part of angular movement. Stepping out on an angle is something you see a lot of in the black belt forms but you see it only "here and there" in the first 9. It is also randomly "here and there".

      The bigger picture is that there are themes in the forms, some very clear things the architects were trying to instill in the students practicing these forms. This makes sense and can be seen and for which I am satisfied. What I am not satisfied with is where kicking and angular movement falls into the original 24 patterns as a whole.

      At the end of the day, I think the lower forms are shortsighted. They focus intently on things that are easy and take for granted things that are really quite difficult. I was hoping to paint that picture when I tie this series up at the end. I have probably 2-3 more parts in the "macro" series.

      As for actual transitions in a given form - That's the micro series that is coming soon :)

      Think of these as a serial TV show with "arcs" - right now I'm in the macro arc. There's more to come for sure.

      Delete
  2. Excellent! I do agree with you about the early forms. There are some things that are thrown in over and over that don't need so much emphasis, but occasionally bits are thrown in for seemingly no real reason that are WAY out of depth. Personally I think the spinning backfist in To-San is a lot more difficult than the angular movement, but we can debate that more when you get to the micro series :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete